HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Head Start is FREE to all who qualify for the program. Wood County Head Start is financed by a combination of federal and state support
IS MY CHILD ELIGIBLE FOR HEAD START?
Eligibility Considerations include:
- Family Income
- Children with Disabilities
- Childcare Assistance
- Participating in the W2 Program
- Receiving assistance from a TANF funded Program
- AND you need to have a child under the age of 5 years or be an expectant mother.
Children/Families who are automatic qualifiers are:
- Homeless families
- Children in Foster Care
HOW CAN I ENROLL MY CHILD?
Parents can complete the application process by stopping in at the Administrative Office year-round or at any of the centers during the school year and completing an application. Please be sure to bring proof of income in the form of:
- Income tax form (1040)
- Current check stubs
- TANF or Verification from Social Services
- Social Security
- Unemployment Compensation
WHERE ARE YOUR CENTERS LOCATED?
We have five centers, two of which serve both Head Start and Early Head Start. Services are provided to all of Wood County
- Biron Center
550 Center Street
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494
- Marshfield Center
2209 West Spencer Street
Marshfield, WI 54449
- Nekoosa Center
500 S Section Street
Nekoosa, WI 54457
- Vesper Center
(Infant/Toddler Program only)
6263 Wisconsin Street
Vesper, WI 54489
- Wisconsin Rapids West Center
191 19th Avenue South
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54495
- Central Business Office
1011 8th Street South
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494
WHAT CAN I SEND WITH MY CHILD?
Parents are not required to supply any supplies or materials.
Please send your child with:
- A backpack for belongings (Preschool)
- At least one set of labeled, extra clothing may be asked for by your teacher – to be used in the event of a bathroom accident, paint spill, etc. Remember to replace clothing when your child wears his/hers home and/or when the weather changes
- Jacket/coat, hat, and gloves when weather is cold – we try to go outside daily and will go outside when the temperature is above 20-25°F for Infant Toddler and 0°F for Preschool.
Please do not send your child with:
- Any toys from home
- Snack or lunch, Head Start Provides a tasty nutritious breakfast or lunch plus snack
- Diapers/pull-ups are provided if your child is toilet training.
WHO CAN MY CHILD GET PICKED UP OR TAKEN OFF THE BUS BY?
In order to ensure your child’s safety, a child will only be released from the center or the bus to the child’s parent, guardian, or designated person indicated on the Child Release Form. We cannot take release permission over the phone.
If you know in advance that a designated person will be picking up your child, please notify us. Persons unknown to the staff will be required to provide photo identification.
How do I know if Wood County Head Start is cancelled?
In the event of an emergency situation such as: inclement weather, natural disasters, or damage to center buildings, your child’s center or classes at your child’s center may be cancelled.
All Head Start centers will close automatically if the corresponding Public School District closes due to inclement weather. If Public Schools close early due to inclement weather, a Family Service Worker or Teacher will make calls to a parent/guardian, day care providers, etc. notifying of the closure.